Sunday, September 12, 2004

A Facial and Loving Your Family

Tonight I feel really great. Specifically, my immaculate skin. lol.

I got a facial today with my cousin, Danielle, and her friend. It was so relaxing that while my face was being massaged with exfoliating cream, I fell asleep and had a short dream. Being in Shanghai for about five days, I realize I have a lot to learn from my cousin. One being: take care of your skin. Another being: love your family. Three being (something that Siqi told me and has stuck in my mind for a while): it doesn't hurt to be pleasant. Danielle is 27 and very, very cool.Another very cool thing about being here is that my life is so pared down. I barely "own" anything right now. Living with my cousin in a tiny apartment (I mean about 100 square feet) that's already crammed with a few pieces of furniture, I don't have a lot of room to stash things. Danielle cleared out two drawers and a tiny bureau for my things. I have a little case of clothes. Two drawers of things. No overwhelming obligations. (Although expectations are another matter).I start work at the tiny office on Tuesday. I will walk to work at 8:00 AM with my T41 in my backpack. It takes about half an hour to get there. I want to get there before 9:00 AM so I can get the lunch stipend (which is 8 RMB).

Today I hung out with my cousin. (The past few days, I've been shown around town, taking the bus, the subway, the taxi ... toured the office, bought groceries, attempted to make pasta, eaten really upscale fusion hotpot, got a cell phone for about 100 USD, opened a bank account, vowed never to go to the Starbucks on Huai Hai Road -- ie Prada bag foreigners central, got a domestic phone card, kept hooking up via dial-up) We went to the spa and then ate at a Hunan restaurant, which was also fusion! (But "fusion" doesnt seem to carry the same kind of snobbishness as in the States).

There's so much to talk about, I can't even begin to cover it. I just want to remind myself that there is a cowboy boot shop on DongHu (East Lake) Street. To be continued

...PS I am working for that arch firm I talked about, and Danielle works at this PR firm called Burson-Marsteller. At work, I might be doing something for a government competition. YAY! COMPETITION WORK!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home