Thursday, December 02, 2004

Today was too sunny, and all the snow came down in drips from the roofs. I found a police car, and it was a Land Cruiser with a Mao brocade dangling from the rear-view mirror. (I actually just got the same one from one of my aunts!) Streets are much more empty than any other city I've been, but this might just be because it's cold, and it's a work day. I'll have to see tomorrow if the people come out to play. There are so many real traces of the Communist era here (not catered to kitsch-seeking tourists). For example ... my relatives, who lived through war, great leaps, and book-burnings. Took as many pictures as long as I stayed not embarassed of taking pictures of strangers. Took even more video of my little 3-year-old nephew dancing to Daft Punk. (I started playing Underworld off my laptop and he started nodding his head). I want to take a million million pictures so I could recreate a virtual world of this place whereever I go ... if only I could. Lots of colorful textiles--makes me want to study textiles; trying to get a cotton jacket made of this fluff. I think I might take a solitary journey back to Shanghai on the train (30 hours including a transfer at Chongqing). I think I'll do some cross-stitch to pass the time. It's kind of nice to be lost in this land, although my dreams have been extra vivid lately. More later!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home