Tuesday, December 07, 2004

wen wen

My little nephew Wen Wen.

I bought a bunch of hair clips the other day. My little nephew Wen Wen comes across the bundle, and wants to play with them, so I take them out, and he's trying to fix them in his hair, except his hair is like a few millimeters long.

I ask, "Wen Wen, I don't think you can put them in your hair. Your hair is too short."
He says, "Why?"
I say, "Well, I guess it's because you're a little boy, and your hair is short."
He says, "No, I'm not a little boy. I'm a little girl."
I say, "Wen Wen, it seems like you're a little boy to me."
He says, "Well then, I want to turn into a little girl."
("Na, wuo xiang yao bien cheng xiao nu har.")
And he continues attempting to fix the clips into his hair.

---

On a separate occasion:

Wen Wen loves trains and subways, especially photos of real, live trains and subways, of which I have a very small collection. So, he always wants me to open my laptop and look at those photos. We came across a photo of me with a mustache drawn over my lips in black marker, and he starts screaming with joy. He thinks it's the funniest thing he's ever seen.

He says, "Huan Huan Yi, why do you have a mustache?"

I say, "Well, it's because one day, I decided to grow a mustache. I thought it would make me look good. What do you think?"

He says, "I think your mustache should transform into a train, and then into a subway! And then become an airplane!!!"

("Wuo xiang ne di hu zhi ying gai bien cheng huo che, zhai bien cheng di tie, zhai bien cheng fei ji!!!")

He continues to squeal, and then insists on looking at the photos of trains. -eyes spinning!- ... a little Rene Magritte!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home