Wednesday, September 22, 2004

Magazines and Fashion

I stopped at this young woman's store today (sells hair accessories, magazines, and novels) and they let you read all the magazines for free as long as you like! Since I have a total glossy fetish, I couldn't help but step inside. I love the sheer number and nature of these Chinese glossies, though a lot of them demonstrate the same crazy posh aesthetic. They get all the major international names (L'Official, Madame Figaro, Bazaar, etc) and have a bunch of local magazines with high caliber layout and style. I like to see great editors evolve the tastes of the everyday person. Also, it's nice to see A LOT OF ASIAN MEN as SEXUAL ICONS in the media. There is a whole men's magazine this month (T.O.M. I think) devoted to the topic: "metrosexual;" not that I laud this subject matter, but I love the abundance (in all sorts of publications) of the hot, well-dressed (Chinese) man. That's one thing I know I'll miss when I get back to the states.

The magazine portrayal of women is good--not terribly hyper sexualized po-mo dominators (US), not as much young cutesy girls in poses (Japan). Chinese women's fashion is eclectic and raw. By the way, did you know you can get eyelid surgery in Shanghai for 2000 RMB (less than 300 USD) and a nose job for about 3000? (I found this out talking to Danielle's friend, Leslie, who is a journalist).

Chinese fashion is a combination of everything; the streets are way heterogeneous. It's starting to grow on me. The dynamic of the city -- the utter heterogeneity (posh and poor are totally side by side -- there's no uptown or downtown class-wise) is invigorating. I've got so much to write, but so little time...some links: (from a recent google search on the topic of Hedi Slimane)

Hint Magazine
BookLounge
and a Chinese women's mag called Frends.

-----------

Pudong--the large popsicle being the Pearl Tower. SOM will be in charge of redeveloping the entire Huang Pu waterfront (the river that divides Shanghai into Puxi, the Bund / European colonial side, and Pudong, the 2nd tallest building in the world / tacky capitalist side) .... (is design just adding value to things that are otherwise very cheap?)Candy-coated bladerunner! These images might disappear, if and when the pic hosting I'm using gets blocked by the national firewall. Then, these images will be a thin sliver of a thought slicing gently across the haze of my po-mo memory ... just like after I leave. For now, I will let eyes dance.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home